When insects are exposed to toxic chemicals and don't die, it is because they have a biochemical resistance mechanism. They may be able to detoxify the compound very fast, or they may have an insensitive or protected target site. They may also have physiological, behavioral, or phenological resistance mechanisms. My research deals with the detoxification mechanisms in insects, such as cytochrome P450s, general esterases, and other defensive enzymes, and physiological adaptations to chemical stress.
- Biochemistry and molecular genetics of insect cytochrome P450
- Effects of herbicides and fungicides on insecticide toxicity
- C. Suwanchaichinda & L. B. Brattsten, 2014. Genomic and Bioinformatic Analysis of NADPH- Cytochrome P450 Reductase in the mosquito, Anopheles stephensi, J. Insect Science, 14:2014-1421
- C. Suwanchaichinda, D. Sun, and L. B. Brattsten, 2014. Identification and Analysis of NADPH-Cytochrome P450 Reductase in Aedes sollicitans (Diptera: Culicidae. J. Med. Entomol. 51(5): 958-963;
- L. B. Brattsten, S. Huang, D. Sun, J. L. Tomko, 2011. Procuring Aedes sollicitans for experiments: an alternative to forced mating, Proc., NJ Mosquito Control Association, pp. 17-28.
- S. Huang, D. Sun, L. B. Brattsten, 2008. Novel cytochrome P450 CYP6BB1 and CYP6P10 alleles in the salt marsh mosquito Aedes sollicitans (Walker) (Diptera: Culicidae), Arch. Insect Biochem. Physiol., 67:139-154.
- S. Huang and L. B. Brattsten, 2007. Effect of salinity on temephos toxicity to larvae of the Eastern salt marsh mosquito, Aedes sollicitans (Diptera: Culicidae), J Med. Entomol. 44:705-708.
- C. Suwanchaichinda, L. B. Brattsten 2002. Induction of microsomal cytochrome P450s by tire-leachate compounds, habitat components of Aedes albopictus mosquito larvae. Arch. Insect Biochem. Physiol., 49:71-79.
- F. M. deLame, J. J. Hong, P. W. Shearer, L. B. Brattsten 2001. Sex related differences in the resistance of Oriental fruit moth, Grapholita molesta (Busck), to organophosphorus insecticides, Pest Mgmt Sci., 57:1-5.
- C. Suwanchaichinda, L. B. Brattsten 2001. Effects of exposure to pesticides on carbaryl toxicity and cytochrome P450 activities in Aedes albopictus larvae (Diptera:Culicidae). Pestic. Physiol. Biochem.,70:63-73.
- Insect Structure and Function, Insect Physiology & Biochemistry, 11 370 404 and 16 370 516, lectures, labs, 4 credits, every other spring semester.
- Toxicology of Pesticides 11 370 422 and 16 370 522, lectures, 3 credits, every other spring semester.
- Wine Insights 11 015 273, lectures, exercises, 1 credit, every semester.
Research Interests and Expertise
Biochemical toxicology, insect-plant interactions, insecticide resistance, biochemistry and molecular genetics of cytochrome P450, Aedes sollicitans, Aedes albopictus.