- Semester: Fall
- Period: M, Th (10 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.)
- Format: Lecture
- Credits: 3
- Prerequisites and other registration restrictions: None
Course Website, Resources, and Materials
- Handouts will be distributed in class.
- Reading materials will be distributed through Sakai.
This course aims to introduce students to basic insect evolution and biology. Insects impact society through their role as pests of agricultural, medical, and urban sectors as well as their beneficial roles in ecosystems and as biological control for invasive pests. We will also look at specific fields of Entomology and their significance
Core Curriculum Learning Goals
- Students should be able to define key concepts relating to insect biology, identification and evolution covered in lecture materials.
- Students should be able to recognize and identify different insect Orders.
- Students should be able to apply course material to demonstrate their ability to solve real world problems.
- Students should be able to examine scientific studies to draw connections between lecture material and current research to draw conclusions on the need for research and entomological disciplines.
- Students should be able to gain an understanding of different fields of entomology and their importance in human society.
Additional Learning Goals Specific to This Course and Corresponding LG for Entomology Program
- Attain exposure to the diversity, evolution of insects (1)
- Knowledge of insect morphology, biology, behavior, and ecology (1)
- Knowledge of the environmental importance of insects (2)
- Familiarity with the health and economic impacts of insects on humans (2)
- Preparation for advanced courses in Entomology (1)
Link to Entomology Undergraduate Program Goals
Assignments/Responsibilities, Grading, and Assessment
Achievement of learning goals will be based on beginning-of-class quizzes, a mid-term exam, a final exam, and class attendance combined with participation credit. It is critical that students attend class, and so to encourage attendance part of the grade will be based on classroom attendance and participation.
|Item||Percent of Grade|
|Quizzes (5% each)||25%|